English College at Lisbon
The English College at Lisbon was established in 1622 by Pope Gregory XV as a missionary foundation to serve the English Mission.
The foundation represented an important victory for the recently established Bishop of Chalcedon, Ordinary of England and Scotland and represented a new venture in English ecclesiastical government. The Bishops of Chalcedon were charged with the College’s government by the Congregation of Propaganda representing an important departure from Robert Parsons’ so called ‘Spanish Strategy’. When Richard Smith, second Bishop of Chalcedon died in 1655, the College’s government fell to the English Chapter erected by Chalcedon to govern the English secular clergy sede vacante. The anti-Jesuit tendencies of the cofounders, the Portuguese aristocrat Dom Pedro do Coutinho and the English secular priest William Newman, ensured that the College remained under secular government from its inception in 1622 to the Expulsion of the Jesuit Order from Portugal in 1759 and to the College’s closure in 1971.