The Archive Collections
The Abbey Archives and Library constitute one of the largest collections of research material in the South West of England.
The collection contains the centralised papers of the English Benedictine Congregation as well as a substantial collection of material from Downside’s daughter foundation at Ealing, London. The Library is the largest private library in the South West of England. Its strengths are in Philosophy, Theology, Patristics, History, Biblical Exegesis and Sundials. Its Rare Book Collection is one of the finest in the country.
Please note if you want to reproduce any material from the Abbey’s archives you are required by law to seek written permission from the Trustees. The reproduction of photographs also requires the written permission of the Trustees. For further details please e-mail: email@example.com
The Archive collections include:
- The papers of the Barons of Petre.
- A large collection of letters and architectural drawings ranging from Sir Ninian Comper, Pugin, Dunn and Hansom and Sir Giles Gilbert Scott.
- Papers of the First Baron Acton – the celebrated historian.
- Augustine Baker: Benedictine mystic and ecclesiastical historian.
- Edmund Bishop: liturgical scholar and historian.
- Bishop Christopher Butler: auxiliary bishop of Westminster.
- The papers of the Abbots and Priors of Downside Abbey.
- The Camm MSS.
- The papers of Cardinal Aidan Gasquet: Vatican Librarian and Prior of Downside
- Ethelbert Horne: Benedictine monk and archaeologist.
Further details of selected collections can be found from the National Register of Archives by clicking here.
Abbey Archives and Library,
Stratton on the Fosse,
Tel: +44 (0)1761 235 313